Friday 16 October 2009

Big rear brakes project

Thanks to the kind offices of my friends Peter Rowbotham and Mark Tucker, I collected a set of Ford RS2000 9 inch rear brakes from Horsham last week and set about fitting them this week. The good news is that the wheel stud PCD and diameter and the backplate mountings are all compatible with the existing holes and threads so no problem there. The handbrake levers are "higher" up the axle so the linkage will need to be raised and the bracketry modified but that does not look too difficult.

The remaining problem to be solved is the need for a spacer to be fitted between the half shaft flange and brake drum. The new backplates are offset inwards so the spacer width needs to be less than the difference between the 105E brake shoes at 32mm and the new shoes which are 45mm wide. I have measured the spacer width required as 8mm and need to find some flat washers of I.D. 12mm to try before committing to obtain ready made spacers or making some myself. I have some 6.5mm aluminium plate which I can machine but I fear it needs to be 8mm so another source is required. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment